I enabled ADB through Device Options | Tap Serial # several times | Enable ADB; however, when I ran "adb devices" from a command prompt on Windows 10, the device listed as offline. Curious, I looked at the task manager to see where ADB.exe was running from. Lo and behold it is running from c:/adb.exe.
Now, I don't think that is the right adb.exe, so I delete it and find one under C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools.
I start that up and toggle the Enable ADB on the Kindle Fire.
Wallah. The device is now on-line, so I can try the invaluable advice presented at bilal.eltayara.net/blog/2015/07/23/unlock-full-android-power-to-your-amazon-fire-hd-6/