Widespread Augmented Reality

Widespread Augmented Reality
Click on the image to get the Android Augmented Reality Heads up Display

Sunday, December 29, 2013

How Not to Brick a Samsung Galaxy Tab PT-3113 with a Kit Kat

This will only point out the obstacles that I encountered. Below are links that started my research and eventually successful install of the Cyanogenmod build 4.4 or Kit Kat.

First stop DroidCheats YouTube channel, which is an excellent resource in such matters. However, I followed his excellent step by step instructions but did not pay attention to the file versions that I was using, my first mistake.

This mistake resulted in further errors with the Android soft keyboard and thus the inability to type text into the tablet.

My second mistake involved tracking down the pop up dialog message, "Unfortunately Android AOSP keyboard has stopped." But, don't bother following any of the instructions that you may encounter, which was my last and final mistake.

Lesson learned: A successful install of Cyanogenmod build 4.4* starts with pairing up the right files.

So I started over again and followed the install steps that can be found at web sites like xda-developers and the previously sited DroidCheats YouTube channel.

Here are the files that I used and why.

  • cm-11-20131229-NIGHTLY-p1.zip : If I'm going to do this, might as well get Kit Kat.
  • pa-gapps-stock-4.4.2-20131215-signed.zip : After rebooting only with ROM installed, I discovered that the build version is 4.4.2, therefore I want the Google Apps install for that version.
  • That's it. Save yourself from panic and move slowly and purposefully.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment